James Bond is sent to investigate the smuggling operation of gold magnate Auric Goldfinger.
After first encountering him in Miami, Bond arranges a “chance” meeting at Goldfinger’s golf club, where they play a high stakes round for a gold bar during which Goldfinger and his henchman cheat.
Trailing the millionaire to Switzerland in his Aston Martin DB5, 007 finds out how his smuggling operation works; however, after hearing about Operation Grand Slam he is captured.
Sparing his life at the last minute, Bond awakes on Goldfinger’s private jet on the way to Kentucky where he owns a stud farm. Here he witnesses a meeting with a number of criminal gangs who have provided materials for to Goldfinger and overhears the details of Operation Grand Slam; to irradiate America’s gold supply at Fort Knox thereby increasing the value of his own gold and helping the Chinese.
James Bond must try and foil Operation Grand Slam as Goldfinger’s plan swings into action.
What we say
Goldfinger is perhaps the quintessential James Bond film, with the right balance of plot, girls, villain, henchman and, in the Aston Martin DB5, gadgets. It is also, notably, the only Bond film based on an Ian Fleming novel that improves on the original story.
Premiere: 17th September 1964 at the Odeon Leicester Square
UK: 18th September 1964
US: 21st December 1964
Richard Maibaum & Paul Dehn
Albert R Broccoli and Harry Saltzman
|Sean Connery||James Bond|
|Honor Blackman||Pussy Galore|
|Gert Fröbe||Auric Goldfinger|
|Shirley Eaton||Jill Masterson|
|Tania Mallet||Tilly Masterson|
|Cec Linder||Felix Leiter|
|Lois Maxwell||Miss Moneypenny|
|Burt Kwouk||Mr. Ling|
|Varley Thomas||Swiss Gatekeeper|
|Robert MacLeod||Atomic Specialist|
- Dom Perignon ’53 at the Fountainebleau Hotel with Jill Masterson
- Brandy (“with an overdose of Bons Bois”) while dining with M and Colonel Smithers
- Martini, shaken, not stirred (vodka NOT specified) on Goldfinger’s jet
- Mint Julep (“sour mash, but not too sweet”) at Goldfinger’s stud farm
Aston Martin DB5 Coupe (1964)
- “No Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”
- “My name is Pussy Galore”
“I must be dreaming”
- “Shocking… Positively shocking!”
- ”Ejector seat, you’re joking!”
“I never joke about my work, 007.”
- “I told the stewardess, liquor for three.”
“Who are the other two?”
“Oh, there are no other two.”
- “This is no time to be rescued!”